|Join us for a series of events celebrating WiSTEM!!
Here’s the schedule — note that some events require advance registration:
Monday, April 2, 8:30-10:30 p.m., CUB Auditorium – The week will kick off with a showing of the acclaimed movie, “Hidden Figures.” The movie is about “three brilliant African-American women at NASA — Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson – who serve as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of astronaut John Glenn into orbit. The movie is a stunning achievement that restored the nation’s confidence, turned around the Space Race and galvanized the world.” This event is sponsored by the SEB.
Tuesday, April 3, 4-5 p.m., CUB Auditorium – Keynote by Gerri Martin Flickinger, Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer at Starbucks. Ms. Flickinger graduated from WSU in 1985 with a BS in Computer Science. The keynote will be LiveStream broadcast by the Global Campus. A reception will be held immediately following the keynote, 5-6 p.m., in the CUB Gallery.
Wednesday, April 4, 4:30-8 p.m., CUB Senior Ballroom – STEM Panel Discussion followed by a “Dinner with an Engineer/Scientist.” The event will open with a networking session from 4:30-5 p.m., followed by the panel discussion, 5-6 p.m. The panel will be moderated by Dr. Noel Schulz and LiveStream broadcast by the Global Campus.
The panelists include:
- Julie Averill, Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, lululemon athletica, inc, and Washington STEM Board Member
- Tracy Roberts, M.S., Mission Support Alliance, Electrical Engineer
- Tiffany Ludka-Gaulke, MD, Providence Medical Group, Class of 2004, Honors, Neuroscience
- Leen Kawas, PhD, CEO & President, M3 Biotechnology, WSU alumna
- K. D. Joshi, PhD, Professor and Chair, Carson College of Business, Department of Management, Information Systems, and Entrepreneurship
The event is open to all WSU students who will enjoy a free meal and networking with scientists and engineers from the sponsoring companies.
Students are encouraged to sign up for the dinner through Handshake (https://wsu.joinhandshake.com/events/135492/share_preview).
Thursday, April 5, American Association of University Women will host a Salary Negotiation workshop. Refreshments will be served.
- Smart Start: how to negotiate salaries for a first job, raise, or promotion 5:30-7:30 p.m., SPARK 335 (registration via Handshake required).
Friday, April 6-7, WSU Performing Arts presents final performances of Silent Sky
- Silent Sky tells the true story of early astronomer Henrietta Leavitt, whose scientific discoveries took place in the context of a society with little regard for women’s ideas. More information here.
Come one, come all — let’s celebrate WSU’s Women in STEM together!!